[Sca-cooks] High Table dishes

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 13 12:14:53 PST 2007

Generally High Table gets the same food everyone else gets, although
They get it first, and on nicer dishes.

However, if i know that the presiding royalty have some food issues,
i'll try to make sure that the menu accommodates them to some extent.
So when there was a Prince who kinda kept kosher, i made sure there
were enough non-pig meats in the feast, and any dish that had dairy,
i made a serving without for him.

Then again, if i know that there are a number of people with certain
types of food issues, i may make a platter or a dish without the
offending ingredients. I don't generally accommodate individuals, but
sometimes that's quite simple - for example, one diner several years
ago wanted salad without vinegar.

At the Ottoman feast i knew there were people who had issues with
gluten, with dairy, and with sugar. So...
-- I sent out one dish of manti without the yogurt sauce and one bowl
of the lamb without the yogurt, and i made the Zerde without milk -
it was made without milk most of the time, but often with milk for
the Palace;
-- I made one platter of Sheker Burek and Senbuse Mukellele with
Splenda instead of sugar;
-- and i made sure that there was a soup, a meat, a grain, and some
desserts without gluten.

There used to be about one table's worth of vegetarians at feasts, so
i used to make everything that didn't involve meat without any -
using vegetable broth rather than some sort of animal broth. So for
the Ottoman feast i'd worked up a recipe for meat-free manti and a
vegetable broth soup. But i had no responses when i asked about food
issues, so i didn't bother.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita