[Sca-cooks] Dinner in the Topkapi Serai

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 15 18:09:27 PST 2007

Katira wrote:
>I was one of the lucky diners and it was delicious.  The desserts
>were the best I had had at an SCA feast in a very long time.  I sat
>with a newcomer family of vegetarians.  They enjoyed all the dishes
>they could eat and had their fill.  I am looking forward to the
>posted recipes as there were three dishes I can't wait to have again!

Well, rats. If i'd known there would be vegetarians i would have made
a vegetarian soup and vegetarian manti :-(

That's why i asked on multiple e-mail lists if anyone had food issues.

I did hear from people who couldn't eat dairy, people who couldn't
eat gluten, and people who couldn't eat sugar. So i sent out a
platter of the manti without yogurt sauce and a platter of merserem
(lamb with greens) without the added yogurt; why i had a soup and a
meat dish without wheat to parallel a soup and a meat dish with
wheat; and why two of the four desserts were without wheat; and why i
made a platter with several desserts made with Splenda.

I had come up with a recipe for vegetarian manti, but no vegetarians
contacted me, and the only vegetarians i know didn't stay for dinner.

Additionally, a couple people told me they didn't like lamb, but i
was ahead of them. I had already made the menu with that
consideration in mind - a lamb soup and a chicken soup, a lamb main
dish and a chicken main dish...

These were all easy accommodations. Of course there were almonds in
most of the dishes. Good thing no one with nut allergies was there...
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita