[Sca-cooks] How do you reconstitute dried chestnuts?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 18:44:18 PST 2007

--- Gretchen Beck <grm at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> >> I am trying an old family stuffing recipe for the first time this coming
> >> thanksgiving.  It calls for chestnuts.  The only chestnuts that I can
> >> find that aren't in their shells are dried chestnuts.  Has anyone on
> >> this list worked with dried chestnuts?  How do I go about reconstituting
> >> dried chestnuts?  I am assuming that they will need to be moist for the
> >> stuffing.  Help?
> >>
> > Last year Trader Joe had frozen ones.  If you havent bought the dried
> > ones yet and have one nearby, it might be worth checking.
>

> I know this is probably a "well duh, that was the first place I looked",
> but here in Pittsburgh, Italian grocery stores often have canned (or
> otherwise preserved) chestnuts. If you haven't looked, it might be worth
> checking.
>
> toodles, margaret

I didn't see any canned chestnuts, just water chestnuts.  But I will look out for them for
future use.  Unfortunately, I don't know of any Italian grocery stores here.  Mexican, yes.
Chinese/Asian/Japanese, tons.  Middle-eastern and Indian, lots. High-end specialty, yes.
Italian, not for a long time.

Huette

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/