[Sca-cooks] How do you reconstitute dried chestnuts?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 19:20:00 PST 2007

--- Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> > Huette
> I got a pet Italian grocery store in Burbank,  they have all the stuff
> you normally need to go to NYC to find.  My Brooklynese father loves
> this place, it's the "taste of home" he's been looking for all these years.
> Pinocchio restaurant and store,
> 3103 W Magnolia Blvd
> Burbank, CA 91505-3046
> Phone: (818) 845-3517
>
> Chinese markets should have chestnuts this time of year too.  On the
> other hand, any excuse is a good excuse for an excursion to Somis!  Well
> "nuts to you" my dear, hope you found treasures.
>
> Selene

Yes, Selene, I found treasures.  Not only the chestnuts, but I also bought a pound and a quarter
of whole pecans, so that I can make my infamous pecan pie.  This time, I will make my regular pie
[with the one pound] and I will experiment and make a pecan tart using Splenda for my darling
husband [with the quarter pound].  And just in case others ask, I like pecan pie that is really
full of pecans and only has enough of the filling to hold the pie together.  This is the way I
used to make pecan pie back in the day before the squirrels found our pecan tree and we could get
tons of pecans just for the picking.  Sigh.

Anyway, here is my recipe:

INGREDIENTS
1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 lb. whole pecans

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter. Stir in the brown sugar and
the flour; mix well, then add the milk, vanilla and nuts.  Pour into an unbaked 10 inch pie shell.

Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and
bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until done.

For Hroar's tart, I plan on using brown sugar Splenda.  I am not sure how much is equivalent,
but I am sure that the package will say.

The other treasure that I got there is their Vidalia Onion BBQ sauce.  Very onion-y with no
capsicum peppers.  I usually use in on boneless, skinless chicken thighs in the crock pot.  My
family loves it.  Unfortunately, the Somis Nut House doesn't have it on their website, or I
would have ordered everything online.  The owner said something about UPS not guaranteeing/
insuring glass bottles, so it isn't offered online.   However, it was a very lovely, if long,
drive.

Huette

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/