[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving menu

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 21 11:12:14 PST 2007

On Nov 21, 2007, at 12:16 PM, Georgia Foster wrote:

>> relish tray (carrots, celery, green and black olives, pickles) do
>> people still do these?
>
> YEP .... it is such an integral part that I forgot to mention it,
>
> Carrots, celery, olives, pickles, yep ...

Yes, we did this, too. There's even (or was) a special crystal or
porcelain service you can (or could) buy for this. I also remember
being served carrot and celery sticks routinely as a child, as a
dinner starter, even on non-holidays. It was designed to keep the
barbarian hordes from underfoot while final meal preparation was done.
Which, I'm sure, what owners of fine crystal relish trays will also
tell you it is for ;-)

But on holidays there was a greater variety. I think we had a
discussion on this once before, here, with a virtual show of hands on
who had this as a tradition in their formative years...

Adamantius