[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving menu

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Nov 21 11:19:34 PST 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2007, at 12:16 PM, Georgia Foster wrote:
>
>>> relish tray (carrots, celery, green and black olives, pickles) do
>>> people still do these?
>>
>> YEP .... it is such an integral part that I forgot to mention it,
>>
>> Carrots, celery, olives, pickles, yep ...
>
> Yes, we did this, too. There's even (or was) a special crystal or
> porcelain service you can (or could) buy for this. I also remember
> being served carrot and celery sticks routinely as a child, as a
> dinner starter, even on non-holidays. It was designed to keep the
> barbarian hordes from underfoot while final meal preparation was done.
> Which, I'm sure, what owners of fine crystal relish trays will also
> tell you it is for ;-)
>
> But on holidays there was a greater variety. I think we had a
> discussion on this once before, here, with a virtual show of hands on
> who had this as a tradition in their formative years...
>
> Adamantius

And you need at least two relish trays, to keep the pickle juice from
contaminating the carrots. Apparently they are a necessary part of
housekeeping in my family--I think I personally own three
compartmentalized crystal relish dishes.

Also a tradition is putting the relish tray out well in advance for people
to snitch from before dinner starts. It gives the matriarch and
matriarchs-in-training something to yell at the kids about.

Margaret FitzWilliam