[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving menu

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 11:25:22 PST 2007

Yes, I'm familiar with the relish dish concept...in fact I inherited
several relish trays in cut and pressed glass from my mother.
However, there's one delicacy none of you lovely folks have
mentioned...or maybe it's a southern "thing"...watermelon rind pickle.
 YUMMMM...but I can't have it anymore, sigh.  And my mother used to
make spiced peaches that were to die for.

Kiri

On Nov 22, 2007 12:36 PM, Lilinah <lilinah at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Ah! The old ubiquitous relish dish! Wow! I haven't thought them since
> the last time they were mentioned on this list (which was a while
> ago).
>
> I'm from the Chicago area and when i was a kid in the 50s it was on
> the table at most mid-level restaurants and sometimes at home.
>
> The long multi-sectioned dish held celery sticks, carrot sticks,
> whole radishes, and canned olives. I never like canned olives. When i
> lived in France i was converted to good olives and now i can get them
> in most of my local markets, here in Berserkely. But i still love raw
> radishes.
>
> >Yes, people still do them.  Maybe it's one of those regional things,
> >but my folks (originally from CT) always had one for holiday meals.
> >Think my sister (the #@$!!) got the special glass tray we used.  I'm
> >bringing one as part of my contribution this year--carrots, celery
> >stuffed with lox cream cheese, olives, homemade chutney, pickled
> >beets.  Would have done pickled crabapples, too, if I could have
> >found them, but alas...
>
> I'm making 'em... had the choice of crab apples and lady apples at
> the inestimable Berkeley Bowl.
>
> >--Maire,
> >who likes the can of peas tradition, too....
> >
> >  On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:42:34 -0600 (CST)
> >"Pixel, Goddess and Queen" <pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com> wrote:
> >  > relish tray (carrots, celery, green and black olives,
> >  >pickles)
>

> --
> Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
> the persona formerly known as Anahita

Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
                    -- C.E. Lawrence