[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving menu

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 22 11:37:11 PST 2007

On Nov 22, 2007, at 2:25 PM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> Yes, I'm familiar with the relish dish concept...in fact I inherited
> several relish trays in cut and pressed glass from my mother.
> However, there's one delicacy none of you lovely folks have
> mentioned...or maybe it's a southern "thing"...watermelon rind pickle.
> YUMMMM...but I can't have it anymore, sigh.  And my mother used to
> make spiced peaches that were to die for.

I made some a few years ago, more or less as an afterthought when I
happened to have a really thick-rinded watermelon on hand, and I
completely disregarded the rules on how they should be made. Basically
boiled them in a sweet-and-sour vinegar syrup with pickling spices and
just a little salt. Really rather embarrassing, the shortcuts I took.

Of course, people keep asking for them again, they want the recipe, etc.

You can't make them with some kind of DaVinci syrup or something? If I
understand the nature of the difficulty, I'm betting it is not
insurmountable.

Adamantius