[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving menu

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 14:09:21 PST 2007

Hmmmmmm......sounds like a possibility.  Maybe next summer I'll try
it.  Part of the problem is with the watermelon itself.  Believe it or
not, it is, along with pineapple and banana, one of the highest fruits
in sugar content.  But maybe the rind part wouldn't be quite so bad.

Come next summer, I may give it a whirl...thanks for the idea!!

Kiri

On Nov 22, 2007 2:37 PM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
<adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2007, at 2:25 PM, Elaine Koogler wrote:
>
> > Yes, I'm familiar with the relish dish concept...in fact I inherited
> > several relish trays in cut and pressed glass from my mother.
> > However, there's one delicacy none of you lovely folks have
> > mentioned...or maybe it's a southern "thing"...watermelon rind pickle.
> > YUMMMM...but I can't have it anymore, sigh.  And my mother used to
> > make spiced peaches that were to die for.
>
> I made some a few years ago, more or less as an afterthought when I
> happened to have a really thick-rinded watermelon on hand, and I
> completely disregarded the rules on how they should be made. Basically
> boiled them in a sweet-and-sour vinegar syrup with pickling spices and
> just a little salt. Really rather embarrassing, the shortcuts I took.
>
> Of course, people keep asking for them again, they want the recipe, etc.
>
> You can't make them with some kind of DaVinci syrup or something? If I
> understand the nature of the difficulty, I'm betting it is not
> insurmountable.
>
> Adamantius

Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
                    -- C.E. Lawrence