[Sca-cooks] Killing the Yeast in Mead

Ian Rocas rocas511 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 25 16:47:45 PST 2007

As a rule, when I brew mead I typically bring the must just to a boil and then imediately start to bring the temperature down to 90 degrees for pitching.  The results are usually quite good.

Kotek.  I wanted to ask you (and other meaders out there) about the use of potasaium sorbate.  In all my years of mead making I have never done this.  Probably because I once heard that it effects the taste of the mead in a way that can only be aged out over a period of months or years.  I have also heard conflicting reports on how well it works.  Sometimes it seems as though yeast is harder to put down than Dracula!  Has anyone experienced any of this? To date, my practice has always been to simply keep my mead refrigerated.  What has been your experience?

Rocas