[Sca-cooks] Killing the Yeast in Mead

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 18:15:33 PST 2007

My lord husband, who has been making mead for many years, says he
never uses campden tablets to kill the yeast, only to sterilize the
bottles that the finished product goes into.  He rinses the bottles
out with campden and lets them air dry.

He says that he lets the alcohol content rise high enough to naturally
kill the yeast.  He uses a mead yeast for most of his meads.  The dead
yeast will fall to the bottom and he pours the mead off of the top.
If he wants to make a sparkling mead, he'll use a champagne yeast for
a second fermentation.

Hope this helps!

Kiri

--
Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.