[Sca-cooks] barley water

Heleen Greenwald heleen at ptd.net
Mon Nov 26 20:16:01 PST 2007

Thanks for the good explanation Master A!  Can you explain to me
though, why people would want to drink "...basically water boiled
with barley until it has taken on a  starchy, slightly mucilaginous
viscosity..."  sounds.... uhm, like something that I have to drink as
a prep before a certain test that I have to take every year.  <trying
to be delicate here.>

I've never tasted actual barley water myself, but I have seen/heard
it referred to in  UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS as a drink for young women in
lieu of wine/fortified wine.

Phillipa