[Sca-cooks] barley water

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 25 09:47:44 PST 2007

> On Nov 25, 2007, at 1:48 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
>

>> I have found barley water available in bags, similar to tea bags, at
>> an Asian grocery. But it is rather uncommon and it may take some
>> searching for.
>>

> FWIW, I think what you're talking about may be a Korean product,
> which, yes, is for making an infusion of roasted barley, a sort of tea.

I know it in the Japanese, "Mugi-Cha", roasted barley tea.  It comes off
like a coffee substitute, and if the flavor reminds you of Sanka,
there's good reason isn't there?  I know that the Koreans use it too but
I couldn't read the Korean to be able to tell you their name for it.

But as Master A points out, this is significantly different from western
"barley water" due to the roasting of the barley.

Selene