[Sca-cooks] Precious stones to ward off evils

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 26 22:22:26 PST 2007

>A rumored little jade Buda found in an early Norse grave not withstanding
>it
> is my understanding that jade was relatively unknow in Europe through out
> all but late period as it was a gem of the orient and the new world.
>
> I suggest that diamonds would have been of less value as a gem stone in
> period compaired to stones more easily worked and of more vivid hues.  Its
> value would have been that it would scratch all other stones and metal as
> well.

<clipped>

> Daniel

Pliny on the otherhand suggests that they are the most valuable of gems and
from his description of their shape it is fairly obvious he is referring to
the rare diamonds that naturally display their crystalline structure.

There is a break between Antiquity and the High Middle Ages where diamonds
seem to be relatively unknown in Europe.  Some time in the 14th Century,
Venice became the diamond cutting center of Europe, probably as an adjunct
to the spice trade.

Bear