[Sca-cooks] Precious stones to ward off evils

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Mon Nov 26 20:45:19 PST 2007

A rumored little jade Buda found in an early Norse grave not withstanding it
is my understanding that jade was relatively unknow in Europe through out
all but late period as it was a gem of the orient and the new world.

I suggest that diamonds would have been of less value as a gem stone in
period compaired to stones more easily worked and of more vivid hues.  Its
value would have been that it would scratch all other stones and metal as
well.

It is my conjecture that a persona of 15th century Christian Spain would
intersect with Moslem and Jewish traditions but would not yet have direct
access to the orient or the new world.

The only direct "period" reference I have would be to a translation of a
period Arab book of gems and my notes on that are on a hard drive that I
cannot access presently.

Daniel