[Sca-cooks] Book Question

Daniel Myers edoard at medievalcookery.com
Mon Oct 15 17:28:55 PDT 2007

On Oct 15, 2007, at 7:25 PM, Diane & Micheal Reid wrote:

> Recently my lady picked up a book called
>  Food in History by Reay Tannahill,
>
>  Question having read a bit I wondered if it was meant as a
> generalist view
> or is it a book that can be used for references.

As a general overview it's ok, I suppose (It doesn't talk about
spices and rotten meat).  But it's very poorly documented in most
places, and the section on the medieval period is very short and way
over generalized (any book that fails to differentiate the practices
of  Italy and England is doing more harm than good in my opinion).

I'd read it and pass it on, and then go pick up anything by Scully or
Woolgar.

- Doc

-=-=-=-
222. Take Longebeff, an sethe it wyl, than choppe hem smale, an put
on dysshe wyth quystys, and serue it forth in a dysshe, as men
seruyth furmenty wyth venyson.  [The Boke of Swyllyng]
-=-=-=-