[Sca-cooks] Jules/Catalina's Book

jah at twcny.rr.com jah at twcny.rr.com
Tue Oct 16 15:00:07 PDT 2007

I hope there is no more responses, as I have run
out of time to answer e-mails if I am to get my
2 manuscripts to the publishers by this friday!

see below.

> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 00:09:18 -0700
> From: Lilinah <lilinah at earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Jules/Catalina's Book
> To: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org
>
> Greetings, Jules/ Mistress Catalina:
>
> Please, drop the other shoe... what book did you publish and what
> book are you going to publish? Title, if possible, perhaps a hint
> about content...

Mark Twain's 3 mediaval books with recipes.

http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Twains-Three-Medieval-Books/dp/1582751536

> Thanks,
> Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
> the persona formerly known as Anahita
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 07:05:31 -0400
> From: Johnna Holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Accomplish'd  Lady's  Delight
> To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
>
> The full title for the book in question I think must be:
>
> The Accomplish'd lady's delight in preserving, physick,
> beautifying, and
> cookery containing I. the art of preserving and candying fruits &
> flowers ..., II. the physical cabinet, or, excellent receipts in
> physickand chirurgery : together with some rare beautifying
> waters, to adorn
> and add loveliness to the face and body : and also some new and
> excellent secrets and experiments in the art of angling, 3. the
> compleatcooks guide, or, directions for dressing all sorts of
> flesh, fowl, and
> fish, both in the English and French mode .../, London : Printed
> for B.
> Harris, and are to be sold at his shop ..., 1675.
>
> 382 pages for this one but that varies greatly among editions.
> Only 200
> for a later edition. As Mistress Brighid noted EEBO lists 1675, 1684,
> 1696 as having been microfilmed and then scanned for their online
> collection.
>
> The English Short Title Catalogue lists editions for 1675, two
> differenteditions for 1677, 1683, then in the 18th century
> it lists 1706, 1719 and one as [1720].
>
> Sometimes attributed to Hannah Woolley.
> Seventeenth century editions have the preface signed: T. P.
>
> Bibliographies vary as to wrote the book. Woolley was dead by the
> time it appeared, but she is often credited as the book contains
> recipesfrom earlier credited works by her. 18th century editions
> often appear
> credited to T.P. A number of catalogues just list it safely as
> ANON. or
> uncredited.
>

> Given as the 1675 edition [London : Printed for B. Harris, and are
> to be
> sold at his shop ..., 1675]  is available on EEBO's Text Creation
> Partnership where it can be downloaded
> and keyword searched by academic audiences with access, do you
> suppose a
> publisher would be interested in reprinting an edition of it now? I
> presume of course that you must have spent considerable time retyping
> out the book but given that EEBO-TCP already has it available in the
> nice searchable version, I would think most people would like that
> version.
> Johnnae

thank you for the info
yes I spent a couple of years typeing it all in.
yes, publishers are interested in publishing these old books.
I would greatly appreciate it if you would stop "testing' me.
Thank you,
Jules/Mistress Catalina