[Sca-cooks] Halvah marzipan or nougat?

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 14:57:14 PDT 2007

    See Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 18, Issue 35 dated 21 Oct 07 for input on
this subject. I appreciate so much your comments so much.
    Playing around with different versions of the spellings of "halvah"
I came across Stefan's candy-msg from 1998 when spelling it "halwa":
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/candy-msg.html
which has a long discussion on this calling it a "candy"  - dag gone
Stefan has an answer for everything - does that mean that Gitlitz and I
are wrong in our attempt to label this as a type of turron/nougat or
marzipan? Don't forget I have this Spanish "ajonjoli, jonjoií, _turron
de alegria_", Eng. sesame candy, which is obviously is translated as a
type of nougat in Spanish and contains the same ingredients as some
recipes for halvah.
    Going back to the basics of turron, it was originally almonds boiled
in honey to coagulate which Perry calls /mu'aqqad. /Three recipes are
found in _Anon Andalus_ which is online. From here we can see various
versions with the addition or changes to other nuts and/or sesame seeds,
eggs and flour etc.
    Now marzipan in Spanish is also called "turron blanco" (white
nougats) consisting of ground almonds and syrup, sometimes eggs were
added and that was or are some recipes flavored with rosewater or
cinnamon and several variations found online. Nola has a few online
thanks to Lady Brighid.
    What is nursery rhyme called about the little black boy and the
tigers running around the bush so fast that they become hummy pancakes?
I think I just got there - except I have not melted my knowledge enough
to come out as clearly as crepes.
    I wonder if Gitlitz and I are both right - I for calling halvah a
type of nougat and he for calling it marzipan? Could I label marzipan as
a type of nougat? What do you think???
Suey
Suey