[Sca-cooks] Halvah marzipan or nougat?

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Oct 21 16:31:21 PDT 2007

>There are quite a few Islamic hulwah recipes in sources such as Kitab
>al Tabikh, which I seem to recall is somewhat older than the 15th
>century --

>Adamantius

"Kitab al tabikh" means, roughly speaking, "cookbook." If you are
thinking of the one by al-Warraq, it's tenth century, but I don't
know if it has any hulwa in it, although it's likely enough.  If you
mean the one by al-Baghdadi, it's 13th c. and has hulwa recipes in it.

As best I understand it, the word means, roughly, "sweets," and
refers to a category of dishes. The one I do is a "beat sugar syrup
into beaten egg white to make natif, use that as a binder for nuts"
version.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com