[Sca-cooks] Activities for a hypothetical Known World Cooks/Bards

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Oct 22 15:20:22 PDT 2007

>Hi folks,
>
>I'm mentoring on a bid for a known world cooks and bards symposium, (we're
>in the process of constructing one, don't know whether it will be accepted)
>and I was hoping to pick the brains of this group a little. Right now, the
>proposal is for a long weekend at a campground with food/bunk space and
>space for tent camping. What I'm lookiing for information on right now is:
>
>What sorts of activities would you be interested in outside of classes --
>particularly in the evenings. Bards are easy, they circle and sing
>:-)..But, what do cooks do in a camp where the bards are circling and
>singing?
>
>Thanks much! If the bid is accepted, I'm sure we'll be back asking about
>classes, workshops, activities around the Pennsic/Pittsburgh area.
>
>toodles, margaret

One obvious thing, assuming the site has cooking facilities, is for
individual cooks to demonstrate preparation of particular dishes that
they think especially interesting.

For instance, making hulwah, which is a bit tricky, since you are
creating a sort of thick cream (natif) which hardens fairly
quickly--and you need to mix it with chopped nuts and form into balls
before it does.

Or Badinjan Muhassa, which involves frying thin cakes of a ground
walnut paste, crumbling them, and mixing with other ingredients to
make a dip.

Or Murakaba, aka "stack of pancakes," one of my islamic frying pan pastries.

For other people's projects--a demonstration of sugar paste, which I
haven't done. A demonstration of cooking using period ceramic
equipment, with an opportunity to try it. One could even combine--I
make murakaba using a ceramic frying pan provided and managed by
someone else.

If we assume that a significant number of participants are not
experienced cooks, someone could do an evening cooking workshop for
the novices, along the lines of what we sometimes do. Everyone picks
a period recipe in its original form (translated if necessary),
spends the evening cooking it, with advice.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com