[Sca-cooks] Medieval questionaire

Britt tierna.britt at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 22:25:56 PDT 2007

> Consequently, I was also a little confused by the banquet/buffet
> question. I assumed it had to do with the concept of various dishes
> being placed on the sideboard for easy service, probably morphing into
> the later 16th and 17th-century banquette table.

Actually, I think of going out for sushi as a 'buffet'.  I sit still
and the food goes past me.  Been reading 'Banquetting Stuffe'.  Had to
think modern suddenly when I took the quiz.

As for tablecloths, napkins are found pretty far back.  Suggest _Food
and Drink in Medieval England_ by Peter Hammond as a fine reference
for same.  Wipe your hands on the tablecloth, kiss away future
invitations.  there's edven this wonderful comment about how a
threadbare but thoroughly white tablecloth is preferable to a new and
stained one.  And a nice bit of information about party rentals in the
15th century. :)

- Teceangl