[Sca-cooks] Medieval questionaire

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 27 16:13:33 PDT 2007

On Oct 27, 2007, at 6:54 PM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> Yeah, I had a problem with a banquet being compared to a buffet.  I
> guess I
> was thinking in terms of people having food brought out to them by
> servers
> and placed on the table vs. standing in line, helping yourself!  Sigh.
>
> Kiri

I'd think that even the standing in line part is not necessarily an
essential part of the buffet experience, although it's common enough,
I guess. I spent a couple years running the food aide of a buffet of
about 35 hot and cold dishes in a high-level corporate dining room,
entertainment tax laws being what they were at the time, we
essentially had to provide an incentive, for people who could walk
over to Chanterelle or Bouley if they felt like it, to eat in-house.
The traffic was controlled by the maitre d', just like the regular a
la carte seating, so even though we were quite busy, there were never
more than four or six people at the buffet at any one time, and you
never got that "standing in line" feel.

Consequently, I was also a little confused by the banquet/buffet
question. I assumed it had to do with the concept of various dishes
being placed on the sideboard for easy service, probably morphing into
the later 16th and 17th-century banquette table.

Sideboards, BTW, are a magnificent way to keep people from tripping
over each other when doing a feast. If given the opportunity, every
feast I do from now on will be set up that way...

Adamantius