[Sca-cooks] tablecloth, shroud or food cover?

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Oct 31 07:55:53 PDT 2007

> That would be me.  It's actually a mosaic, not a painting, and it
> appears in Roy Strong's _Feast_, and the subject is the Last Supper.
> There is a cloth on the table.  I don't have a lot of other material on
> this period in my posession, but I'm guessing that the depiction of a
> tablecloth isn't unique.  What this could have to do with the Shroud of
> Turin (which didn't surface 'til the 14th century) is beyond me.

Curiously, a cloth which has been sometimes identified with the Shroud of
Turin (a cloth with the image of Jesus) appears to have surfaced in
Byzantium in the 6th century CE. (What you learn from listening to
lectures in Byzantine history.)

But I found no references in my limited searching identifying that cloth
with a tablecloth from the last supper. Perhaps a more in-depth search
would show more-- or perhaps not.

--
-- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net