[Sca-cooks] I don't want to die

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 30 09:09:04 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
>From: S CLEMENGER <sclemenger at msn.com>
A counter to this is jokes about having a better time in hell (with the implication that it'll be more fun and more interesting), and that one's friends will be there.  It's not meant seriously, generally.
>--Maire

It's a concept also found in medieval literature.  Here's a quote from the French romance of "Aucassin and Nicolette":

“In Paradise what have I to do? I care not to enter, but only to have Nicolette, my very sweet friend, whom I love so dearly well. For into Paradise go none but such people as I will tell you of. There go those agèd priests, and those old cripples, and the maimed, who all day long and all night cough before the altars, and in the crypts beneath the churches; those who go in worn old mantles and tattered habits; who are naked, and barefoot, and full of sores; who are dying of hunger and of thirst, of cold and of wretchedness. Such as these enter in Paradise, and with them have I nought to do. But in Hell will I go. For to Hell go the fair clerks and the fair knights who are slain in the tourney and the great wars, and the stout archer and the loyal man. With them will I go. And there go the fair and courteous ladies, who have friends two or three, together with their wedded lords. And there pass the gold and the silver, the ermine and all rich furs, harpers and minstrels, and the happy of the world. With these will I go, so only that I have Nicolette, my very sweet friend, by my side.”
http://www.elfinspell.com/MRLAucassin.html

Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom