[Sca-cooks] Wecker -- To Roast Salmon

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Sun Oct 7 15:24:55 PDT 2007

<<
>thu wol vorgemelte Wu:ertz darein/
As a native speaker of German, I can tell you ... >>
Ah, a native speaker of 16th century German ...

<< ... that this can mean a lot of different things >>

Well, no. If you are familiar with 16th century German texts,
"vorgemelt" is used like English "aforementioned" or
"abovementioned". Ranvaig was right.

<< vorgemelt could mean a lot, as in "schmelzen" ->
melt >>

But "vorgemelt" is 16th c. German, "melt" is English.

<< "mehlen" -> to turn in flour; >>

so, "vorgemelt Wu:ertz" would mean something like 'the spices
that have been previously turned in flour'... strange idea.
Did you ever check, whether or not the verb "mehlen" exists
in 16th century German? I can't find it in the huge Grimm
dictionary of historical German (http://www.DWB.uni-trier.de).

<< If you take all of this together, the whole
expression probably means "put the well pre-ground
spices into it" >>

Same question like before: Are there instances of 16th
century German, where "vorgemelt" means "pre-ground"?
Could you provide one or two? I can
show you many instances where "vorgemelt" means
"aforementioned". Try googling "vorgemelt", you'll find
many examples yourself.

Emilio