[Sca-cooks] tallow candles

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 23 22:42:17 PDT 2007

niccolo difrancesco mentioned:
<<< (I still have tallow in the freezer from the class I taught 7 or
8 years
ago!!) >>>

So were you just creating tallow in this class or were you making
stuff with this tallow once you had created it?

I'd love to have an article on processing tallow or making tallow
candles or some such for the Florilegium.

I've considered making tallow candles, but have never gotten around
to it. Lots of people have made beeswax or paraffin candles, but how
many have made tallow candles? How many have used tallow candles at
an SCA feast? And tallow candles really might be much more
appropriate for most of our personas. It is my understanding that
only the Church and the very richest of nobles could afford to use
beeswax candles.  I'm not sure I would use tallow candles inside most
of our feast halls, but many of our feasts in Ansteorra are held
outside.

For anyone interested in trying this, there is some info on
processing tallow in the candles-msg file in the Florilegium. Keep in
mind, that both period texts and modern reports, say not to use pig
fat as your starting point.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas