[Sca-cooks] Bread Labor

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Oct 31 16:49:12 PDT 2007

> And certainly on in remote areas, small holdings and in earlier times,
> it might
> have been common for a family to raise grain, mill it at home and then
> bake it
> on  bakestone or under the ashes in some fashion (lacking the larger
> bakeovens), but was this practice that generally common by
> the 14th-16th centuries? I note your source is for 1100-1300. Does this
> source apply to larger households
> and estates?

Actually, because of the different laws relating to mills, it may be more
likely for a large estate to have the grain milled at home than for a
small one-- smallholdings generally were *required* to bring their grain
to the miller who held the concession for the area from the law, whereas
large holdings might have a mill on their own land, or be the miller's
landlord. I'm away from my sources, but by the 14th century requiring
tenants to use the lord's mill and pay the miller a portion of the grain
was the norm, according to the books I read.

--
-- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net