[Sca-cooks] Bread Labor

Aldyth at aol.com Aldyth at aol.com
Wed Oct 31 19:45:26 PDT 2007

In a message dated 10/30/2007 8:19:49 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu writes:

Having  grown up on a farm, I suppose I look at questions like
this in a different  fashion, but why would you suppose that
the farmer raising the grain, the  miller grinding the grain into
flour and the baker would have been the same  person?
Didn't most bakers buy their flour?
(If they have the time, they  might start by reading all the books cited
in Elizabeth David's  bibliography
in her book on English Bread and Yeast  Cookery.)

====================
They aren't looking at it as being the same person.  Just the physical  labor
involved in producing in this case, a loaf of bread.  Putting  together a
hypothetical household to cook a feast for 100.  The farmer who  raises the
grain, the laborer who harvests it, the miller who grinds it, more  labor to bolt
it, the cooks who make it, the bakers who cook it. More like how  large the
workforce would have to be to produce this bread for the feast all at  once.
Some of them are looking into the ovens, to see how long it took to  bake a loaf
of bread, and how many loaves (and then how many ovens)  I  think it will
result in a little appreciation for the fact we don't have to rely  on that much
physical workforce to produce a feast.

When I get back to the real computer tomorrow I will post a list of the
books we have been going thru.

Aldyth