[Sca-cooks] Bread Labor

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Oct 31 20:46:38 PDT 2007

aaahhh that makes more sense. At least in terms of England they should
take a look at
the multi-volumed set titled The Agrarian History of England and Wales.
Cambridge University Press.
Volume 3 covers 1348-1500-- 1. Introduction: land and people; 2. The
occupation of the land; 3. Farming practice and techniques; 4. Marketing
the produce of the countryside, 1200–1500; 5. Prices and Wages,
1350–1500; 6. Landlords; 7. Tenant farming and tenant farmers; 8.
Peasant rebellion and peasant discontents; 9. Rural building in England
and Wales; Select bibliography; Index. It's $190 so it's too expensive
to buy but it ought to be in your larger academic libraries.

In terms of the economics take a look at the Cambridge Economic
histories or those produced by Oxford.
They might also find a book like the Bakers of Paris and the Bread
Question by Steven Kaplan to be worth a look.
It's 18th century France but it does cite earlier stuff.

Johnnae