[Sca-cooks] Bread Labor

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Wed Oct 31 21:41:12 PDT 2007

I think it's a really interesting, and no doubt eye-opening, query to be following.  A friend and I have casually discussed the same basic idea in terms of an item of clothing (we're both fairly serious fiber enthusiasts).  A simple tunic or gown, for instance--how many hours of work to maintain the fiber animal? or harvest the flax? and all the fiber prep, and the spinning, and weaving, and finishing, before ever getting to the construction.
It'd make an interesting research paper or something--basic time "costs" for fairly standard items--clothing, food, utensils, shelter.  I'll be interested in seeing that list of books.....
--Maire