[Sca-cooks] Game sources (bunny, venison) question

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Oct 12 11:55:20 PDT 2007

On 10/12/07, Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm doing our Central Regional 12th Night feast and playing with some ideas. Most of the feast will be pretty inexpensive so I may try to spring for a couple of interesting luxury items. One of the things I'm looking at is from Curye on Inglysch, "Hares in Papdeyle" which is a rabbit ragout between sheets of pastry.
>
> This shouldn't take too much rabbit meat for 200 diners, I'm looking at 15 or so carcasses but that will cost me around $200 from the sources I've found. Anyone have suggestions of distributors? I'm also looking for inexpensive opportunities for wild game, venison or boar.

Well, when I did the rabbit with Ras, we got it from a local farmer.
All I had to do was go in, tell him I wanted however many rabbits to
butcher on the date I wanted them, and he bred them and had them
waiting. We butchered ourselves, of course, but most people who raise
rabbits will sell them to you either live or dressed. I'd suggest
going down to the local feed store and asking the people there who
raises meat rabbits. Feed store people know that sort of thing, and
you won't risk upsetting someone who keeps them as pets.

There are also people who raise specific beeds of rabbit, on specific
feeds, for fur, and if you find one of those folks, you'd likely get
the carcasses at an even better price. But, start at your local feed
store. They know who's doing what with livestock. I'd make that
suggestion no matter what meat animal you're looking for, including
game animals. Lotta talking gets done in the feed stores ;-) Just make
sure it's the kind that sells to farmers, not the kind that sells to
suburbanites.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Priorities:

Denial of evidence is not refutation of evidence.

Blessed be the self-righteous, for they shall inherit themselves.