[Sca-cooks] Bugs in Grain

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sun Oct 28 20:10:09 PDT 2007

I've had good luck with diatomaceous earth.  It is made of microscopic seashells, and the sharp edges kill the bugs. Its apparently sometimes used to treat grain stored in silos and wont hurt you, even if you ingest it, although its better not to breathe it.  I bought it in a heath food store years ago, and haven't seen it lately, but it goes a long way.

Our apartment had some kind of crawly when we moved in.  I threw away anything that was infested, made sure not to store anything in cardboard or plastic bags,and dusted the shelves generously with the stuff.

I'll also comment that its wise to be careful with any grain product that you have leftover from camping, I brought some moths home from Pennsic once.

Ranvaig