[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 17, Issue 9

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 14:38:02 PDT 2007

Elise Fleming wrote:

> (Note: "sobar" means to knead,rumple, make soft.  Since kneading is mentioned in the next line the best meaning would seem to be the above one.)

Robin Carroll-Mann agrees with you but going back to the RAE definition
as Stanza points out I think it would be better to say: 'knead the dough
with oil'  Note you are assuming you should knead it which is logical
and I think a good addition to the translation. Here I would say add oil
and knead well.
> Add leavening and knead it with water, little by little, until the dough
> feels just right and appears (smooth) THICKENED.  (Note: "trabado" means
> thickened, strong.  There are a few other meanings which don't make sense
> here.  So, I am guessing that you want the bread to the right
> consistency/thickness/sturdiness.

Thick would be the word but I think 'desired consistency' would be better.
> (furnace) OVEN.  "Horno" should be oven here as it was modified
> in the title.)

 I absolutely agree. Excellent point

Concerning "vasija" Stanza wrote:

> From RAE:
> f. Pieza concava y pequena, de barro u otra materia y de forma comun u
> ordinaria, que sirve para contener especialmente liquidos o cosas destinadas a la
> alimentacion
>
> My translation:
> A small, hollow piece of clay or other material and of common, ordinary form
> that serves to hold liquids (especially) or things to be eaten

the fourth meaning in the RAE is:
conjunto de piezas para el servicio de mesa
which means serving dishes. So I correct my translation in this case to:
bread basket.

>> OK, some elusive ingredients in other recipes:
>> alm?ciga (Bablefish said "seedbed" and an on-line
>> dictionary said it was a plant nursery) but it
>> appears in a list with cinnamon, pepper and
>> ginger - is it mace?

Mastic is a gum from mastic tree native of the Mediterrenean. The island
of Chios in Greece held the monopoly during Middle Ages. We have been
masticating it for centuries in gums. It was added to breads and
toothpaste for flavor.  By the way one of Columbus' arguments to seek a
route to the Orient via the Atlantic was to break the Chios monopoly.

>> alones - what part of a chicken this?
> A chicken wing, plucked.  "Alo'n" is the plucked wing of any bird.  Your
> reference, therefore, is plural.  Hope this helps!

You are right stand to be corrected. Thank you.
Suey