[Sca-cooks] OT - Gumbo file powder

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 9 20:00:23 PDT 2007

My jar contains sassafras powder but no other ingredients.  It's Zatarain's brand.
Cordelia Toser

Terri Morgan <online2much at cox.net> wrote: I've just had a good rousing argument with my husband. I maintain that Gumbo
file powder contains sassafras and (occasionally) thyme - he maintains that
"in the past, maybe not now" it had other herbs and spices in it as a matter
of course (we're talking what you buy in the jar, not what you make at
home...

So in the interest of domestic tranquillity, could anyone who has
familiarity with file powder tell me what theirs has in it?

I know it's OT - please respond to online2much at cox.net .

Thanks,
Hrothny
(Don't worry - we argue like this all the time. We bought our first set of
Encyclopaedia Britannica as wedding gifts for ourselves so we'd stop having
to call the 24-hour NY library's hotline...)