[Sca-cooks] Semi-OTL what to do with rue?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Sep 10 11:57:51 PDT 2007

Gwen commented:

<<< Rue is an old remedy for stomach distress in Mexico (probably
goes a lot further back than 15thC) as well as steeped in vinegar for
headaches according to the Leechbook of Bald.  It was always reputed
to be an ingredient in the famous "Four Thieves Vinegar" along with a
number of other herbs and also common spices. >>>

Okay, what famous "Four Thieves Vinegar'? I've not heard of this before.

<<< Rue is not a herb that would be used culinarily by most cooks
once it is tasted. >>>

Are you talking about modern or medieval cooks here? It does show up
in quite a number of medieval food recipes and herb mixes. Using the
search engine in the Florilegium turns up a large number of references.

It is bitter, but I think the main reason rue is shied away from by
modern cooks, even those recreating medieval recipes, is the concern
that it can act as an abortificant. It is also not commonly available
and takes a bit of searching to find.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas