[Sca-cooks] Manchet

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Sep 11 10:53:59 PDT 2007

But they ate butter upon bread--

from A feast full of sad cheere vvhere griefes are all on heape: where
sollace is full deere, and sorrowes are good cheape.
Churchyard, Thomas, 1520?-1604. published 1592.

Page 11

No Butter cleaues nor sticks vpon my bread,
No Honny-combes will breede in my bare hyue:
My gold but glasse, my siluer worse then lead,
My luck as bad as any man alyue;
-----------------------

A thousand notable things, of sundry sortes Wherof some are wonderfull,
some straunge, some pleasant, diuers necessary, a great sort profitable
and many very precious. ...
Lupton, Thomas. [1579]

Page 130   She abhorred then bread & butter, and other such natural foode.
---------------

The first and second volumes of Chronicles ... first collected and
published by Raphaell Holinshed, William Harrison, and others: now
newlie augmented and continued (with manifold matters of singular note
and worthie memorie) to the yeare 1586. by Iohn Hooker aliáas Vowell
Gent and others. With conuenient tables at the end of these volumes. 1587.

Page 93   When no butter could sticke on their bread, in in that part of
the citie

I have a collection of these quotes. You should have asked.

Johnnae