[Sca-cooks] Manchet

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Tue Sep 11 13:50:41 PDT 2007

>>>Also, how big did you make them?
>>>

>>It was bigger than recommended in period. I probably would have
>>been better off cutting the risen dough in two pieces and making two
>>loaves. The loaf was formed in about a 6" diameter circle and 3" or so
>>domed. It rose to around twice that size when baked.
>>

>My vague recollection is that manchets are bigger than a modern roll,
>but otherwise a rather small loaf: maybe twice the size of a man's
>fist when baked. Bearing in mind this is not trencher bread, but
>"eating" bread, it probably equates to two decent-sized servings,
>especially sensible if you trim them, and allow for the shared two-
>serving cover concept... I haven't looked it up, but I wonder if the
>name is intended to indicate size.

That's certainly my understanding of manchets.  From 6-7 cups of flour,
I get six manchets about five inches in diameter.  (They'd be bigger
around if I were more of a bread-flattener, but I'm a show-off, and not
flattening means they come out nearly spherical on a good day).

-
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?