[Sca-cooks] Chard and cheese dumplings

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 12 21:15:05 PDT 2007

I would point out Krapfen has regional variations.  What we call filled
doughnuts are considered Krapfen in Northern Germany, while in Southern
Germany, Krapfen mostly refers to turnovers or fried pies.  The dictionary
definition also equates them to fritters, but I think this the French style
of fritter with the filling folded into a ball of dough rather than dipped
into a batter.  I would therefore tend to translate "taig" (Tieg) as dough
rather than batter.

Welserin gives a recipe for an egg dough in A Tart with Plums (70), and
calls for it's use in the Shrove-Tuesday Doughnuts (173).  This would
probably be a good dough to use in this recipe.

Bear