[Sca-cooks] Almond milk dregs

Britt tierna.britt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 22:20:51 PDT 2007

> I'm going to be making 12 lbs of almonds into almond milk.  What can you do with what is left? Does it have enough flavor to make marzipan?  Some kind of cookie?

There's enough flavor for baked goods, but not marzipan.  I also like
to dry the remnants and grind them to powder and use them as a
thickening agent.  For modern uses I use the powdered almonds in
batter - my almond chicken is a batter of powdered almonds and enough
flour to make it sticky with an egg and maybe a bit of water as
needed.  Dip pieces of chicken into it and fry.

The pulverized but not powdered almonds can also be added to batter
for fish or chicken where they'll add texture as well as flavor.

A spoonful of pulverized almonds under cupcakes or muffins before
gives a lovely surprise at the bottom, and of course the crushed nuts
can be sprinkled on a ton of things.

Add to salads for a little flavor and crunch.

And there's a medieval recipe that works well with the almond milk
leftovers. The original is from Hieatt, Constance B. and Jones, Robin
F., 'Two Anglo-Norman Culinary Collections Edited from British Library
Manuscripts Additional 32085 and Royal 12.C.xii' and I found it online
at http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-archive/3/A03132.shtml

27. Emeles. E une friture k'ad a noun emeles. Pernez sucre e sel e
alemaundes a payn demeyne, e brauez les ensemble; e pus metez des
oefs; e pus gresse ou oile ou bure, e pernez une quilere e oignez les;
e pus pernez sus e rose les de sucre sec, &cetera. Explicet.

27. Emeles (almond cakes). Here is a fritter which is called emeles.
Take sugar, salt, almonds, and white bread, and grind them together;
then add eggs; then grease or oil or butter, and take a spoon and
brush them [i.e. the emeles, while they arefrying]
and then remove them and sprinkle them with dry sugar, etc.

12 pounds of almonds?  Egad, what're you going to do with (from my
experience and guesstimation) more than 6 gallons of almond milk?

- Teceangl