[Sca-cooks] Age and maturity in the Middle Ages

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 14 09:31:53 PDT 2007

There's such a knowledgeable group of people here, I thought I'd ask, even though it's not food related. Have there been any papers on psychosocial development in the middle ages? I recall Barbara Tuchman's observations about how young in age many of the rulers were during the 100 Years War (leading armies as teenagers), and her intimating that some of the problems of the 14th century were because so many of the elites (and people in general) were immature and had poor impulse control. I can see her point: I look back at the asinine things I did at 16 and ask myself what the hell was I thinking, and then realize that at the time, no, I was not thinking at all, I just did it and didn't think about the consequences.

Gianotta