[Sca-cooks] The purpose of SCA-Cooks from Isabella de la Gryffin and a Culinary Question

silverr0se at aol.com silverr0se at aol.com
Fri Sep 21 13:11:53 PDT 2007

Isabella askes:

>>SO, that being said, Here's a culinary question I've been pondering:
Could anyone recommend some good sources for period confectionary? I'm
willing to start with marzipan, but I'd like to move past that. And, is cane
sugar period?<<

Try "Eleanor Fettiplace's Receipt Book" bu Hilary Spurling. The original book was written in 1604 and was passed down in Hilary's husband's family. She has redacted some of the recipes and adds things of interest from the an Elizabethan country house. Most of the redacted recipes are confectionary and are pretty easy, if time-consuming. Edward Spurling has published a facsimile version of the whole book with no redactions or commentary.

Cane sugar is in our period - IIRC the plant is native to India. Many recipes form our period have instructions on "scumming" the sugar to purify it.

Also check out "Visions of Sugar Plums" in the Floriligium.

Renata