[Sca-cooks] OOP - NYT article on emerging, exotic, slightly dangerous food trend...

Karin Burgess avrealtor at prodigy.net
Mon Sep 24 07:17:21 PDT 2007

I have a daughter who attends 4th grade. We always get flyers from the school about what is suggested "party food" Also what should and should not be in a child's lunch.  I find it a bit hypocritical that when I ask my daughter what kinds of vegetables are served in the cafeteria, she says canned peas, over cooked carrots or corn.  Never any salads, rarely fresh fruit (usually canned with heavy syrup)  and only milk as a drink choice.

  Now they do offer a vegetarian alternative, but it is yogurt instead of the meat dish.

  And also due to budget cuts, they have almost completely removed PE from the school week.  She usually gets one 20 minute period every week.

  Now I do agree that there are many over weight children , I see it all the time. But it seems counter productive to reduce physical activity yet still offer a less then balanced meal.

  -Muiriath

  "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:
  I could swear the video mentioned in the article involves another
controlled substance in addition to cupcakes, as a significant plot
element...