[Sca-cooks] Blue Cheese

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Sep 4 13:37:55 PDT 2007

Possibly neither learned it from the other.  Since cheese making seems to
begin in the Late Neolithic, it is quite possible that the practice of
producing blue cheese was invented somewhere else and introduced to France
and Spain by a third party.

If we have to decide between the two, by the time of the Camino de Santiago
(earliest references in the 8th Century) blue cheeses were being produced in
Southern France and that the records of the Camino de Santiago are roughly
contemporaneous with Einhard's account of Charlemagne and the two yearly
cartloads of (blue?) cheese from a monastery (believed to be Vabres).  Also,
Pliny comments upon the cheeses of southern France, but, to my knowledge,
makes no mention of cheese in Spain.

While the evidence supports Roquefort's claim, lack of evidence does not
negate Cabrales claim.  Blue cheese appears to predate recorded history in
the region and there is some evidence that the Camino de Santiago was a
pagan pilgrimage route before Christianity co-opted it, leaving the
technology transfer possibility open.  Given regional pride, the endless
argument will continue.

Bear