[Sca-cooks] Cheese, a progress report

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 4 16:55:03 PDT 2007

>Usually rennet comes in a concentrated liquid which you have
>to dilute. The trick is to use distilled water as tap water
>(with the chlorine it contains) destroys the rennet,
>although it sounds like a lack of acidity (see below).

I tried the dilute first with no response. Good call on the
tap water. That may have done something. Or the rennet was
also left out in the car all day so the non-refridgeration may
have caused it.

After a while I was using full strength to no effect.

>I was under the impression that for rennet to work properly,
>there had to be some extra acidity in the milk (usually by
>souring bacteria (usually lactobacillus) producing lactic
>acid)?

And this is probably why Adamantius used a yogurt starter
in his cheese for The Pilgrim's Picnic Basket.

>Drakey - no accidents lately (apart from dropping a washing
>machine on my foot).

Well, as long as you have had no accidents other than that little
thing.

Gunthar