[Sca-cooks] bread recipe in Fadalat al-Jiwan fi Tayyibat al-t'aam wa-l-

Stanza693 at wmconnect.com Stanza693 at wmconnect.com
Wed Sep 5 08:45:01 PDT 2007

I don't know if this will help anyone, but here's what I got from Real
Academia Espanola (www.rae.es) which is the online dictionary of the Spanish
language I use most often.

(Info interspersed.)
Constanza Marina de Huelva

In a message dated 9/5/2007 9:02:56 AM Mountain Daylight Time, Urtatim writes:

> NOTES:
> Babelfish could never translate "vasija" - is
> this a special shaped container or just a
> "vessel"?

>From RAE:
f. Pieza cóncava y pequeña, de barro u otra materia y de forma común u
ordinaria, que sirve para contener especialmente líquidos o cosas destinadas a la
alimentación

My translation:
A small, hollow piece of clay or other material and of common, ordinary form
that serves to hold liquids (especially) or things to be eaten

> OK, i found a translation of "sobar" (to fondle,
> to paw, to grope), but it doesn't make a lot of
> sense in this context.

Another translation of sobar is "to knead" which is how I would have
translated this one off the cuff.

According to RAE, sobado(a) means:

adj. Se dice del bollo o de la torta a cuya masa se ha agregado aceite o
manteca.

which I translate as "An adjective used of a bun or torte whose dough has oil
or butter mixed in".

> OK, some elusive ingredients in other recipes:
> alm?ciga (Bablefish said "seedbed" and an on-line
> dictionary said it was a plant nursery) but it

> appears in a list with cinnamon, pepper and
> ginger - is it mace?

almaciga is also related in the RAE to lentisco which is a Mastic Tree.
Almaciga is the mastic resin according to my college Spanish dictionary.  I don't
know what that works out to in cooking.  The lentisco has small flowers, but
RAE doesn't say if they are edible.

> alones - what part of a chicken is this?

Alones (alon) are wings of fowl.
   </HTML>