[Sca-cooks] Fadalat: Stuffed Eggs

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 6 15:23:41 PDT 2007

Urtatim wrote:
>Again, i know i'm being rather literal, but i want this to sound like
>a Medieval recipe, not a 21st C. recipe. Since Medieval English
>recipes say to "cast" ingredients into pots, that's what i've used
>instead of a more "modern" term.

Well, if I may add an alternate view... The only reason medieval recipes
sound "medieval" is because they were written so long ago.  They didn't
sound "antique" to the people of those times.  I would propose putting a
translation into more current language with the medieval word perhaps in
parentheses.  While we might understand "cast" and other similar words, not
everyone will.  And, word order reversed sometimes is which confusing might
be to readers.  Perhaps two versions could be offered?  A more literal one
with the punctuation as in the original and a modernized version with more
appropriate wordings and modernized punctuation??

Alys, quibbling

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/