[Sca-cooks] Period sources for cheese

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Sep 6 15:16:30 PDT 2007

Urtatim commented:
<<< Perhaps what some of us would like to see is a list of cheeses that
were made in period and still available in a form like, or close to,
that of the past. >>>

There are various such lists and commentary in this Florilegium file.
cheese-msg       (124K)  3/28/04    Medieval cheese. Recipes.

The problem comes in deciding whether just the name or the name and
the cheese date from period. In particular it is difficult to know
with cheeses named after places. I remember in particular arguments
about whether the cheddaring process was period or post period. The
town of cheddar is period. I think these are records of cheddar
cheese, but is the modern cheddar cheese the same as the period
cheddar cheese.

Anyway, there are several such lists in that file, compiled by
different people.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas