[Sca-cooks] Fadalat translation

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 08:38:06 PDT 2007

Elise Fleming wrote:
> Urtatim wrote:
>
>> >Again, i know i'm being rather literal, but i want this to sound like
>> >a Medieval recipe, not a 21st C. recipe. Since Medieval English
>> >recipes say to "cast" ingredients into pots, that's what i've used
>> >instead of a more "modern" term.
>>
> Well, if I may add an alternate view... The only reason medieval
> recipes sound "medieval" is because they were written so long ago.
> They didn't sound "antique" to the people of those times. I would
> propose putting a translation into more current language with the
> medieval word perhaps in parentheses. While we might understand "cast"
> and other similar words, not everyone will. And, word order reversed
> sometimes is which confusing might be to readers. Perhaps two versions
> could be offered? A more literal one with the punctuation as in the
> original and a modernized version with more appropriate wordings and
> modernized punctuation?? Alys, quibbling
    To each his own. Obviously Lilinah and I have two different points
of view. I am not familiar enough in Middle English to make an attempt
to use it when translating. Using the word "cast" instead of "put",
"add" or whatever sounds affected to me. My point is to make what I have
to translate understandable to the reader, no more. Too Granja did not
translate Fadalat into old Castellan so why should I throw in Middle
English words?
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank those of you and
Lilinah in particular who  correct my errors. Its such a privilege to
have people interested in my work and able to correct me the way you do.
Suey