[Sca-cooks] OT - Gumbo file powder

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Sep 8 14:14:18 PDT 2007

Filet refers to the powdered sassafras leaf and nothing else.  You may have
a filet blend containing other herbs and spices, but it is the sassafras
that makes it filet.  The word "filet" derives from the verb "filer" meaning
to spin thread and is descriptive of the action of sassafras powder in hot
liquids.

Tyree, Marion Cabell, ed., Housekeeping in Old Virginia; Morton & Co.,
Louisville, KY, 1879.,  has a recipe for Gumbo Filit a la Creole.  The
footnote to that recipe says, "N.B.  Filit is only pulverized sassafras
leaves, dried and sifted; you can make it yourself.--Mrs. S., La."

Bear