[Sca-cooks] Citron (or other citrus) Leaves

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Sep 10 12:11:37 PDT 2007

Urtatim listed as her herb list:

HERBS
-------
Celery Leaves
Cilantro / Green Coriander
Citron (or other citrus) Leaves
Fennel Leaves
Lavender
Mint: apparently Spearmint was the kind used
Parsley: flat-leaf
Zaatar (the herb, not the blend - or my own substitute blend of
thyme, marjoram, and what else smells right - possibilities include
savory and hyssop)

Why the "Citron (or other citrus) Leaves"? How would you use them?
Are these used more as a garnish? or do they actually add flavor,
such as adding (today) a sprig of mint leaves to iced tea? I do seem
to remember another recipe on this list recently which called for
these. How often were they used in medieval European/Mediterranean
area cooking?

Or were you selecting these less for medieval cooking and more for
other cuisines? Although you did say "I'll try to stick to what i use
most when cooking "SCA-period" food."

Can you find these leaves packaged as herbs? Or do you have to go buy
the fruit that still has leaves attached and maybe then not have an
immediate use for the fruit, or pinch off the leaves in the store?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com